.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BrainStorm

Creating Media of All Kinds

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Summer of Creative Bliss

Have been chastised for not updating my blog, but really truly so much is happening that it's hard to justify taking time to do something that has no deadline/tangible product. But justification if needed for myself is that a) I've just cleared through an email box called "reply to" that included a note from 2003! Sad. So the least I can do is catch up here for random friends and passers-by and after all, a request was made...

and b) it would be good to Document some of this incredible creative activity for myself. After 3 years of sneaking in an hour here or there, it's overwhelming to have these 6-hour blocks of time to focus on My Projects.

Cast 2 great actresses for my short The Coffee Maker (Marjolaine Hébert and Tracy McMahon). We'll be getting together this week to get to know each other and plan a couple of rehearsals. I've been warned by two people I trust not to "over-rehearse" so I'm going to take that to heart, especially as it's such a short film - save it for the camera baby! I'm very psyched to have Andrew Forbes as my DoP. I'm waiting for him to get back from a trip to Europe and a gig in T.O., but he has already shared some great ideas he has about shooting.

Before the auditions, I was feeling a bit over my head, but they went great, and now I'm hooked I tell you - talking about and applying film theory like how to get performances out of actors, having other people think about my ideas and vision and how to make it happen, hearing people try to bring my words to life - heady stuff.

Trying to storyboard a short animated film to be made in Photoshop/Flash. Something I've wanted to do for a while, but had a story inspiration this weekend so now I have something to work with.

Script supervised on David Zellis's comic bloodfest for 2 weekends this month. Had to fight nausea at times, as I can't really watch this kind of thing in general even on the screen, but the crew and cast were so fun that it was actually a great time.

Editing poetry to include in the WWG's upcoming chapbook. Enjoyed the MayDay poem-a-day project, and am culling poems from there to edit and add to the send out file. Need to send out another set of poems - like to do groups of 5 and the final set came back recently. Batted 1 for 5 - not bad.

Struggling to get back to a Daily Writing Hour so I can work on Sisters aka The Family Novel [titles submissions welcome], as I did get a grant for it and apparently told them I'd be done by the end of summer!

Studying up on CSS and applying it to creating a website for the Winnipeg International Writers Festival. Reserved a couple of domain names for potential sites for me to run, though I haven't touched TTT in months... More details to come...

Reading: A Complicated Kindness (finally), Cracking the Millionaire Code, The World's Greatest Salesman (yes, really!), The Screenwriter Within, Developing Digital Short Films, and - yummy - Javascript Programming. Haven't gotten my hands on the new Harry Potter yet...

Fave movie so far this summer: Wedding Crashers - I'm a sucker for Owen Wilson's blond spacey sincerity - oi.

Back in Toastmasters to try to raise my speaking skills up another notch. Had another disasterous recital experience, so have been talking to one of my musician friends about how to perform more confidently - strange that the public speaking skills don't translate over.

Planning a big bash for our 5th Anniversary in August. Hard to believe it's been 5 years, but we worked hard to get where we are now as a couple and as individuals and deserve to celebrate!

Had a great trip to Oklahoma and the East Coast. Saw friends and family and went to games in Camden Yards, Yankee stadium and Fenway. May get down to SD/MN/KS in August for one last summer roadtrip. Need to buy a new-used car before that happens!

The Day Job is fine - the stress level is non-existent, and get to learn about digital copyright, free culture, digital learning objects, web coding and accessibility, etc. All good.

And to top it off, Canada passed Gay Marriage=Okie Dokie Act. You go, Canada!

OK so that's it for now. Will see if I can work regular blog updating into my Schedule/Action List. (multi-sheet Excel spreadsheet, believe it!)

Peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home