.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BrainStorm

Creating Media of All Kinds

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Looks Good! Sounds Good!

Shew. Finally had a chance yesterday to go see the footage returned from the lab and hear a bit of the recordings rescued from the digital nagra. A big relief that there's no strange line down the middle of the frame or distortion on the audio.

In general, I'm really pleased. The outdoor stuff is gorgeous, the actors come across great. My only concern is the colours inside - not quite as vibrant as I'd hoped. I'll talk to my Director of Photography about that - see what he was going for. Since I'm finishing on digital, I can play around with it a bit.

It's been funny to me how many people aren't aware of the editing stage. They figure I'm "done" now that I've finished shooting and they'll be able to see it in a week or two. I'm reading a great book of interviews with editors - First Cut by Gabriella Oldham. They talk a lot about the anonymity of being an editor - a blessing and a frustration.

Won't get a chance to really dive into editing until next week, when I go back to the film group's lab to actually batch capture the 50 minutes of footage (!! 10:1 ratio for a 5 minute film - maybe I have 6 minutes...) Then I'll copy the files over to my hard drive and take it home to start editing there.


That leaves my weekend free to catch up on email and work on some web projects - will post them when they are live.

Agreed to be Assistant Director on a short film in a few weeks for my friend Jeff Bruyere - he was the Art Director on Coffee Maker. I'm looking forward to that - should be a fun shoot.

2 Comments:

At 11:22 a.m., September 26, 2005, Blogger Ariel Gordon said...

It's not 'shew' it's 'phew' ... but you probably spelled it that way JUST for me...

 
At 4:01 p.m., September 26, 2005, Blogger Polly said...

Thank you Ariel for letting me know the "correct" sound to make when wiping one's brow. I do in fact say "shew" though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home