.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BrainStorm

Creating Media of All Kinds

Sunday, October 23, 2005

One down, one to go

Definitely learned this morning, after going back to the scene I was working on yesterday, that it's much easier to see what needs to be done and jump in and do it, after a good long break. So I was right not to force myself to keep working on it after I got tired!

This was the most complex scene so far. Not just choosing between takes but lots of angles to choose from. Unnerving to just jettison a shot that required an entire separate and time-consuming setup, but it just doesn't work with what I've put together. I console myself by thinking I'll use it for some other project someday.

On the other hand, I find now that I've put the story together visually that I'm missing a shot I'd now dearly like to have - a close up that just doesn't exist. I did create storyboards and shot lists, and it was never there. It's only now that I have the footage and the story is more "real" that I see so clearly what I'd like to have Just There. Sigh. I tried to create a CU by enlarging a piece of footage I do have, but it looks awful.

This was actually the last scene in the film, and it was very fun to work on the ending. I created some interesting effects with cross-dissolving and opacity. Will require someone else to tell me if it's over the top because I'm too pleased with myself for creating the effect!

I'm saving the most complicated scene for last. It's the one where the two characters interact and (gasp) talk to each other. That's the one where sound is actually going to make or break a take.

On the technical side, I've been very impressed with the way Final Cut uses memory. I've got all the footage on my external hard-drive, and working on it by cutting and copying and manipulating clips hasn't decreased my disk space at all. This is good news as I was expecting to eat up memory like crazy while editing. So that leaves me calmer about making as many variations as I want.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home