.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BrainStorm

Creating Media of All Kinds

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Music Video


When my sister and I were young(er), we watched Friday Night Videos, and then would talk about how we would make a music video for our favourite songs.

I'm finally getting my chance! I'm putting together the video for "Hurricane" by Sons of York, who loaned themselves to us for the band scenes in Rave Review. We got some very authentic rock-star video footage of them without my actor, and now I'm mixing in scenes from the film. It's a great way for me to dip into the footage without having to worry yet about synching sound, choosing best take, etcetera.

Exceedingly fun, though a bit tricky at first because we shot it all MOS. Memo to self for next time: slate and sound would be helpful to know where the heck in the song we are! There's probably a note in the sound log but that's buried in a pile of papers I need to get through. I admit my apartment is a disaster area as I pack up for Toronto...

I only got the footage back on Monday, as some of it went missing (a circumstance I did my best to put out of my mind until it was resolved). Andrew (my Director of Photography) and I downloaded it on Monday and started playing with it that night. No sound at that point, but Andrew doesn't care about sound! The amazing thing was I was able to transfer the whole capture to my new 30G iPod (which is fortunately not yet filled with songs) rather than dragging around a giant external hard drive!

The video will definitely be done in time to show Tuesday night as a teaser for RR.

I'd forgotten the rush editing gives me. Was thinking about taking a nap yesterday afternoon, but decided to do some quick cuts and the next thing I knew it was 3 hours later and time to go to the Symphony!

Great opening night at the WSO - kudos to soloist Chee-Yun, who had me fearing for her throat with her high sticking on Tchaikovsky's violin concerto; new conductor Alexander Mickelthwate and new exec director Dale Lonis. Only critique: no snackies at the reception?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home