.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BrainStorm

Creating Media of All Kinds

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Writing on Christmas

In his awesome and inspirational book On Writing, Stephen King discusses his writing regimen. He said he tells interviewers that he writes every day except Christmas* and his birthday. But then he says this is a lie. He does write on Christmas because writing every day is what he does.

I've been trying to institute a write (or rewrite/edit) every day policy, but was definitely challenged by the travels of the last few weeks. I did however bring my laptop in the car on our 2 hour drive to Christmas dinner and got some work done. I'm plugging away at the first draft of the pilot for one of my original series ideas (due upon my return to the CFC). Because the draft will be used by others to figure out what scene(s) I should film for a "teaser," I want it to be a very solid first draft, which means really a second draft, as I'm the queen of what Anne Lamott calls the "shitty first draft" - just dumping some dialogue on the page to fill those dreaded early pages.

Had a good time in Vegas and visiting friends and family in California. As always, travel and sleeping on unfamiliar beds proved to be good for the muse, and I've got a couple fun ideas for what will hopefully be a feature script and a chick-lit novel.

My week in Winnipeg will also be spent finishing the edit of Rave Review, and clearing through papers I left in disarray when I departed for Toronto in September. (only 3 1/2 months ago? Feels like a lifetime!)

Happy New Year to All! May 2007 bring you ever closer to your dreams and goals!

----
* In the back of my mind, I think he possibly he says the Fourth of July, but that doesn't really fit in with my story

2 Comments:

At 8:08 a.m., January 15, 2007, Blogger Ariel Gordon said...

And then? And then?

(i.e. I need my update on Polly's doings...)

 
At 11:30 p.m., January 29, 2007, Blogger Ariel Gordon said...

I STILL need my update...though I suppose busy-writing is the best excuse there is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home