.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BrainStorm

Creating Media of All Kinds

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Getting closer

Notes from yesterday's editing:

When I wrote the script, I had this idea of close ups on Objects (the machine, the mug, the shards, the sponge on the wall), but now that I'm editing, it's clear that the story is right where it should be: on the characters. They are front and center, as they should be.

I also would have thought close ups would be the way to go, but you have to think of the psychology of the moment - whose head are we in? Is she feeling close to or distant from the other character?

It's humbling that a "draft" of a scene that's one minute and 40 seconds has taken several hours of work over 2 days. And I'm still not completely convinced I used the right shots. I've got some alternate clips saved to the side, and I'm going to look at it again today. Reminds me of another writing tip: you can't waver forever on choices. You have to make a choice and proceed from there. Each choice affects the one to follow. Although I built some of the scene from the back when I was having trouble with the middle!

The good news is that after that I took on the only scene left and it went a lot quicker. Turns out editing a scene with 2 people is effort squared! I'm experimenting with some opacity effects for the scene - again, will have to see if other people think it's Too Much. But it's fun to throw some experimental stuff into an otherwise straight-forward narrative film.

After I re-examine yesterday's material, I'm going to pull the 7 sequences I've created into one big timeline to see what it looks like all together!! Hopefully something like a movie!

2 Comments:

At 1:50 a.m., October 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

..in the words of a wise woman, Polly - "If you don't know which way to go, keep it simple. Listen to your broccoli. Maybe it will know what to do..?"
; -)
marjo (in collaboration with Anne Lamott)

 
At 4:18 a.m., October 31, 2005, Blogger Polly said...

Thanks Marjo - I'll go open the veggie drawer and see what advice the items therein have to offer. In the meantime, just got this in my inbox as the Quote of the Day:

"What is important is to keep learning, to enjoy challenge, and to tolerate ambiguity. In the end there are no certain answers."
– Matina Horner (psychologies and former president of Radcliffe College)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home