.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BrainStorm

Creating Media of All Kinds

Friday, November 11, 2005

Back to the Editing Board

Had a great editing workshop last night at the Film Group. It became painfully clear to me that I need to try to shave off at least a minute or two from my film - maybe more. I've been away from the footage for about a week now, so I think I will be able to go back in with a little bit of perspective and do the hard work that has to be done!

But it was good to find out from the guy that my basic techniques are the same things he does - he taught me a few shortcuts, but when I asked about some buttons I've never used, he said he doesn't use them either! He did show me some cool stuff in the video filters that I might try.

It's not really a surprise that editing film should be like editing fiction or scripts. Make the broad strokes and then go back in to pare down. Just more painful in film, because I know how much work went into making each shot happen. Can see now why there are director's cuts and extra deleted scenes on DVD's!

2 Comments:

At 3:27 p.m., November 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Polly:

Just read your thoughts on editing film and it seems to jive with a Law of the Universe I have been running into lately what with moving, unpacking, getting the newspaper out and so forth. Well maybe not law, more like principle or something. Anyway, my current mantra is "Macro before micro"--do the stuff that has the greatest effect first, then go in and fine tune the rest. Anyone with perfectionist tendencies can probably appreciate how much time that saves... you don't have to get it all right the first time.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your seven to eight minutes whether it's on the silver screen or just your awesome PowerMac G5...

David Fuller

P.S. the link is obviously not my personal page, but it's where my energies are going these days.

 
At 9:08 a.m., November 22, 2005, Blogger Polly said...

Hi David!
Glad you finally caught a glimpse here. You'll definitely be on the invite list for the premiere! Good luck with your Stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home