.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BrainStorm

Creating Media of All Kinds

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Good Stuff

Had a fun day yesterday script supervising on Sean Garrity's short, Double Standard. It was a tough day physically because of the unique nature of the filming. Most projects, I get time to sit down and rest or think while lighting sets up for the next shot. This shoot involved a bunch of one-takes moving throughout an apartment using a steadi-cam. Since we were shooting on video, the lighting could be set up at the beginning of the day for the whole set and then just minor corrections were needed as we went along. Brilliant, but not a lot of time to rest!

But it was a good day, overall. I hit a point as I almost always do a couple of hours after lunch, where I wonder why I thought making movies was fun. But then something always happens to remind me why it's amazing. In this case, it was the actors and getting to see some of the footage as we went along, thanks to an on-board video recorder. The actors, Avital Ludwig (who I was impressed with last spring on Chris Robert's Meaning of Max) and Nick Ouellette, showed great stamina considering the long day with few breaks for them either!

And the picture looked great - Keith Eides on steadi-cam and the ever-professional Lawrence Mardon was DP. Beautiful colours and shots.

Having just met with my sound mixer, I have to say that shooting on DV is sounding ever-more appealing, as my main concern with Coffe's sound was camera noise. Saul says it's only obvious because I know what it is, but he'll try to tone it down for me. He was encouraging about the film in general, and complimented some of my edits, which was very pleasing, as I still feel like I'm just making this up as I go along. Everyone has to start somewhere, I suppose!

So I'm going to do some colour correction tomorrow with my DP, get the files to Saul early next week, and hopefully should have a finished product in time for New Year's!

1 Comments:

At 10:23 a.m., December 03, 2005, Blogger Jonathan Ball said...

i love Sean!! good to see he's making another short. i miss filmmaking. haven't had any time to work on anything or meet any film people here.

in answer to your question on my blog... the wolves thing started with mayday, but since then i've decided to write a series of poems, all of which are called wolves. it's sort of a thing to combat my flightiness. i always start new projects without finishing old ones. so now, i can write about whatever i want, as long as it is also about wolves. so i'm writing a lot of single poems and poem sequences, and doing some experimental, constraint-based work, all of which is about wolves or about the word wolves ("wolf" is not acceptable).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home